Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A sewage leak (or flood!), blood-borne pathogens, a chemical spill … these are all extremely risky situations. Beyond the damage to your building, furnishings and possessions, a biohazard event at your home or commercial facility presents a real health risk from the biological and chemical contaminants. You and your family (or employees and customers) are in danger of suffering both short- and long-term health effects. If you are hit with a biohazard contamination, you need to act quickly to get professional help for the cleanup. SERVPRO of Glastonbury/Wethersfield is ready to respond and put our extensive experience to work cleaning up your biohazard contamination in accordance with OSHA and health regulations.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (860) 633-8791
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Glastonbury / Wethersfield has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- East Glastonbury
- South Glastonbury
- Rocky Hill
- Glastonbury Center